Sunday, October 25, 2015

Great Black and White Photographers PART 3

I liked Arnold Newman's work because it conveys a lot of emotion in an everyday scene.  The first thing I notice in these photos is how balanced they feel.


I see two men who work hard everyday to afford the necessities of life.  Two men who used to dream big and imagine a perfect life.  Two men who give it their all and never receive the equivalent.
I smell the mold on the rotting wood of their chairs.  The stench of two unbathed men and a dog.  Then there's the smell of the bland mush that appears often as their meal.
I hear the whimpers of the dog, begging for food.  There is also the creak of the chairs as the men try to get comfortable.  Then there's the slow steady rustle of leafs from the worn trees and wind.
I feel sorry for the men in front of me.  They have had to go through hard times.  These men have stood strong all their lives.

 

I see an old home and a clothes line.  Two things that have seen families come and go.  I see the wear and tear of being used so much.
I smell the freshly cleaned laundry that has been hung up to dry.  The smell of a dinner being cooked within the house floats through the air.  Then there is the smell of sweet flowers that grow on the bushes.
I hear the song of the birds in the trees.  The laughter of the children playing at the house next door.  Then there is the whistling of the wind.
I feel the soft dirt under my feet. I feel the steady breeze on my face.  There is also the warm sunshine on my skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment